How to be a friend
How to be a Friend That is Cherished for Life!
Everyone needs a friend, and everyone wants a friend – but there is a difference between the two. Each person in this world, tends to have a fear of being alone, which is why they want to keep themselves surrounded with people, or ‘friends’. However, we also have an innate need that compels us to have certain people in life, who are our systems of support, also known as ‘friends!
When we talk about friends, there might be a few deep-thinking people, who would ask the most basic question – what is a friend. How would you define a friend? The age old saying goes, ‘a friend in need is a friend indeed’, but with changing times, these concepts are also evolving. Today, a friend is someone who is there when you need him or her, and is also there when you don’t realize that you require a supportive hand.
If you want to know how to be a friend, and an excellent one at that, you need to keep a number of things in mind. These range from very simple and logical aspects, to some which normally people would not even think about. Let’s start with the simplest of things:
- A friend is supposed to be all about loyalty.
- No one wants to have a friend who is nice on their face, but backbites, which is why honesty is crucial.
- A friend is supposed to be someone, whose shoulder you can cry on and just let all your emotions flow out.
- Being fake or artificial will never win you true friends, which is why be real; be the person you really are.
- Be not just a friend, but also a philosopher and guide, and give nothing but the best relationship advice.
While these were pointers on how to be a good friend, you will have to follow a whole different set of rules, in addition to these, if you wish to become a best friend. A best friend is more than just a regular friend, because he or she has that much more responsibility and that much more loyalty to show. A best friend:
- Is there for you, no matter what the time of the day is.
- Will listen to what you have to say, even though you might have already said it a hundred times.
- Assures complete protection of your secrets.
- Ensures that he or she supports you, no matter where you are.
- Will not tolerate anyone saying wrongful or negative things about you.
- Will tell you when you are wrong, even if it is about something that you don’t really appreciate.
- Will give you relationship advice only when asked for, and it will be brutally honest.
All said and done, before you can be a friend to anyone else, you need to be a friend to yourself. Rather, you need to be your own best friend first! What this means is that you need to appreciate who you are, before anyone else can. You might think that you can give excellent relationship advice, but someone else has to judge the same, before you can go out doling mantras for success.
A wise man once said, before becoming a good speaker, you need to be a good listener. This is also one of the most important factors required to become a good friend. Only if you listen well, can you understand what your friend needs, and only then can you offer good advice.
Being a good friend is all about being a person who is honest and dependable and one who will prove his mettle in the most difficult of times. It is also being the one person who will give you nothing but the most appropriate relationship advice, when you need it the most. Anyone will be there with you when you have the good times rolling, but the person who stands by you in the time of adversity is the one you can count on, throughout your life – that is who your true friend is.
So, are you ready to become a friend?